Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Learn-A-Word Wednesday: perfidy

per-fi-dy

noun:
1: the quality or state of being faithless or disloyal: treachery
2: an act or an instance of disloyalty

This word dates back to 1592.

Well, Evan and I have not yet made it to the thrift stores to purchase our mega dictionary. However, I remembered a word from a book that we are reading together, The Tale of Despereaux. Actually its entry here is based on the recommendation of the book's author:

"At least Lester had the decency to weep at his act of perfidy. Reader, do you know what 'perfidy' means? I have a feeling you do, based on the little scene that has just unfolded here. But you should look up the word in your dictionary, just to be sure."

I am ashamed to say that I did not know what perfidy meant. Now I know and I will make sure to update Evan as well since I don't think that he knew what it meant either!

1 comment:

The Cutler Family said...

I love your Learn-A-Word Wednesdays! Great idea!! Educational, too!

Loved seeing you guys today. Evan is just wonderful!

Love you all!
Cutlers