Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Learn-A-Word Wednesday: ephemeral

e-phem-er-al

adjective
1. lasting a very short time; short-lived; transitory: the ephemeral joys of childhood.
2. lasting but one day: an ephemeral flower.


noun

3. anything short-lived, as certain insects.

I always thought that this was a pretty sounding word, but never knew for sure what it meant. Already there are so many things about Evan's babyhood that have been ephemeral, but I have a feeling that teething is not going to be one.

Trillium nivale is a "spring ephemeral" flower. I looked at pictures of ephemeral insects, but they were all really creepy, so we'll just have the flowers!

1 comment:

joker said...

This is a very good idea for a blog. Besides, that's a nice pic!

I like your blog. I'll be back for more. Keep posting!

Do drop by my blog and have a look.

http://1jokeaday.blogspot.com